25 Ways to Building an Internet Ministry in the Church of Christ
by Information Technology Ministry and Social Media Visionaries
of Westside Church of Christ in Jacksonville, Florida
Implementation Strategies to start, run and manage an
Evangelistic Internet Ministry in the Church of Christ
- Are you passionate and dedicated about serving God?
Too many people say they are, but fail to carry through
over an extended period of time. They lose the fire to be
a servant and be of service.
- Are you willing to be obedient to God’s Word?
When working to help build the kingdom you must
understand the direction God wants you to go. Be in
prayer about all things first.
- Are you willing to read, listen, learn, comprehend and pray
about his Word and not yours? You’re not working for
personal gain, you’re working to hear and comprehend
what God wants you to do to help build and add members
to the Body of Christ.
- Are you willing to communicate using digital tools with those
who don’t know Christ or the Lord? Building the kingdom
means going to the highways and by ways not just where
you’re comfortable. Digitally you have to go to where the
people are and minister to them.
- Are you sure of the vision, mission and goals of the Ministry?
The ultimate goal is to “Save Souls and Keep Souls Saved.”
You must be willing to follow the church ministry leadership
not your own ideology.
- Are you willing to build an active online evangelistic ministry
that is consistent and transformative? God first…. God is the
- Are you willing to keep the ministry leadership updated
and informed about the progress of the online ministry?
Communication and unity with leadership are important.
Leaders should have input even if they are not knowledgeable
about the Internet.
- Are you willing to learn beyond the basics of Marketing
and Branding of Social Media platforms? Technology
requires consistant learning and growth. Attend
conferences, seminars and workshops about technology.
Attend conferences on ministry to continue to learn to
understand the Word of God and grow to improve yourself
and what your working to improve with your works.
- Are you willing to share your knowledge with others?
Church of Christ has Lectureship conferences, sharing
the gospel and interpretation. There are other needs
in the Body to learn how to apply technology to spread
the message of Christ. Many people still struggle with
how to be a Christian in today’s world and how to apply
the scriptures to everyday life.
- Are you willing to ask questions when you don’t know
the answers? Communication is important between
Elders, Deacons and Ministers. There should be an
agreement of the direction of the (ITM) Information
Technology Ministry and as the (SMV) Social Media
- Are you willing to build the infrastructure
necessary to be successful in online evangelism?
Having a strong infrastructure allows for growth and
of service to the church.
- Can you use various Content Management Software
platforms directly related to Social Media?
You have to understand how to apply the right tool(s)
to the right application and audience.
- If required are you willing to be the face of the
ministries Social Media presence? In ministry
relationships are key. At Westside Church of Christ
people know the ITM because of the Social Media
postings and interactions. We are accountable and
responsible. It is in support of ministry not us and we
the ITM must take responsibility and are held
- Do you understand what God is calling you to do?
Internet Evangelism is ministry, so you must be prepared
by studying the scriptures, participating in ministry
- Do you understand what God is calling you to do?
You have to understand that this is ministry to
praise God, not a person or people. Don’t get it
twisted, people can see right through your actions
online and who you are promoting.
- Do you understand the resources needed (money,
technology, infrastructure, time, personal
management) to accomplish and establish a
Social Media presence? It takes planning and
a strategy to implement and execute effectively.
- Do you understand who your target audience is,
talk to your leadership.. The leaders of the church
feel the pulse and have the relationships to help
guide the evangelistic ministry.
- Do you know what platforms you will use?
Diversity is important in implementing Social
Media platforms. You do not have to be an expert,
but knowledge and know-how go a long way.
Sometimes it is good to experiment also.
- What Bible translation(s) will be used? These are
the things to consider when establishing a Social Media
presence for your ministry. When scripture is used, what
online reference are you using so people can follow?
- Is there a way to respond to emergency requests for
prayer or counseling? Can the sick and shut-in be
engaged and “feel” like part of the services.
- How will the platforms be managed and by whom?
It will take a team to work together, if not that person
can be overwhelmed or burn out quickly.
- Will there be a survey, instructions, links and
other information for professional development
for the members of the Body to learn how to
use each platform? Allow the Body to voice their
opinion on the content and the messages being
shared through Social Media.
- Will there be workshops and seminars to teach
others? Professional Development is important
to share the how and whys of Social tools.
- How close will you work with the leadership?
Get as close as possible because complaints may
to through them before you.
25. Don’t let personal issues, personalities or other
personal business manage the application for
ministry in the Body of Christ.
Your service is the reward for serving God, he
is the Alpha and Omega and sees your works.